The GlucoTab® system provides support for nursing staff and physicians involved in the insulin therapy of patients with diabetes on hospital wards. The system improves blood glucose management workflow and automatically suggests correct insulin dosages.
- Calculation of a safe insulin dose at the start of therapy, prescribed by physicians
- Daily suggestion for the adjustment of the planned daily insulin dose (by physicians or nursing staff)
- Dose calculation for each individual insulin dose considers blood glucose level and meal (nursing staff)
The dose calculation for nurses is supported by:
- Bolus calculator for type 1 diabetes / intensive insulin therapy
- Sliding scale for supplemental insulin
This is the type of therapy recommended by guidelines for in-patients.
To reduce complications during in-patient therapy, a fixed blood glucose target range is aimed for.
For geriatric patients with less restrictive blood glucose target values or if therapy with basal insulin is sufficient (e.g. after newly initiated insulin therapy)
Therapy intensity depends on the health status
For patients, whose individual metabolic situation requires special medical therapy.
Flexible documentation if trained patients perform insulin dosing themselves also in inpatient diabetes management.
Patient determines dose himself
- long acting insulin once daily
- short acting insulin with each meal and to correct high BG values
- combination with certain oral antidiabetics or incretins possible
- mainly long-acting insulin once daily
- in combination with oral antidiabetic drugs and incretins
- optional addition of short-acting insulin in the morning or with the largest meal of the day
All variants of medication prescription can be freely selected and dosed:
- long acting insulin
- short acting insulin
- fixed dose order
- supplemental insulin (sliding scale) for high BG values
- bolus calculator for intensive insulin therapy using carbohydrate factor and correction factor
- premixed insulin
- oral antidiabetic drugs
GlucoTab BenefitsGlucoTab helps improve the quality of care. This means that each group involved in the treatment process benefits: Medical staff are better supported and mistakes are avoided. Patients directly benefit from improved treatment, while the organisations that run the healthcare facility benefit from a reduction in costs.
GlucoTab® enables the electronic planning, performance and documentation of all ward specific workflow steps necessary for managing blood sugar. Medical doctors and nurses receive all relevant information context-sensitively. Workflow is additionally supported by unobtrusive visual reminders.
The company „decide Cinical Software GmbH" specializes in solutions that support clinical decisions and processes – GlucoTab for diabetes mellitus is our first product. Thus, we support anyone responsible for treating patients in making decisions - many times a day, with each decision a brand new challenge..
GlucoTab Version 8.1 was released in August 2022
The big news of GlucoTab version 8.1 in August 2022 was the GlucoTab App for cobas® pulse, the new blood glucose meter for hospitals from Roche Diagnostics.
As of 11/22/2022, the GlucoTab app for cobas pulse is now officially released for the platform and available on it.
The native Android app has been customized for the display and the specific requirements of cobas pulse.
The main functions used by nurses in diabetes management are fully available.
GlucoTab Version 8.0
GlucoTab Version 8.0 is available since February 2022
This version mainly brings the following innovations:
New therapy type: Documentation of intravenous insulin infusion with infusion pump
- Composition of the infusion
- Specification of a time interval for the blood glucose measurement frequency, which is automatically varied in the event of hypo- or hyperglycaemia.
- Scheme for proposed flow rate as a function of blood glucose that can be predefined
- Continuous documentation of the flow rate with presentation in the course of therapy chart
- Optimisation of the therapy plan for the presentation of i.v. and s.c. Insulin prescriptions
New: Availability of insulin degludec (Tresiba®, Novo Nordisk®) in GlucoTab Algorithm supported therapy
- A clinical study conducted by the Medical University of Graz confirmed safety and efficacy of the GlucoTab algorithm also with insulin degludec. Now this insulin is also available for therapy with the GlucoTab dosing support.
User interface redesign
- The user interface has been substantially adapted so that the course of therapy (chart with blood glucose and documented activities) and therapy plan (order) are aligned exactly on top of each other with the same time axis.
- In addition, the possibilities of customising the user interface by configuration (displayed fields, decimal places, organisational structure) to the needs of the customers have been extended
- Improved wording and consistency of the user interface
Extended functionality for…
- Enhancement of short-acting insulin prescription and correction schemes: meal dependency, correction scheme dependent on time of day, correction scheme can also reduce meal insulin
- Gestational diabetes (blood glucose target ranges, own diabetes type)
- Hypo-/ hyperglycaemia (extension of task generation)
- Therapy start (take over the last known inpatient therapy, determine the insulin daily dose also from prior therapy and inpatient therapy)
- Takeover of therapy as copyable character string for discharge
Improvements for integration: drug catalogue, organizational structure
For detailed information on previous GlucoTab releases see the GlucoTab Version History.
Articles about GlucoTab in the magazine Qualitas
High satisfaction with GlucoTab in routine operationThe article in Qualitas 04-2019 describes the results of the independent evaluation of the extensive pilot phase of GlucoTab in all departments of Hartberg hospital.
Trial with GlucoTab in geriatricsThe Qualitas article 02-2019 describes the clinical trial with GlucoTab with a new algorithm supported therapy regimen for geriatric patients.
Electronic diabetes chartThe article in Qualitas 04-2018 describes GlucoTab as a specialized electronic medication solution for diabetes.
Good blood glucose control...... in hospital with GlucoTab support: description of the features and results of clinical trials in Qualitas 02-2018.
Resume of a reference customerAfter 8 months of use of GlucoTab at Hartberg hospital, KAGes concludes: More safety for patients with diabetes, in Qualitas 01-2018.
The GlucoTab approachSupport of the care process and insulin dosage suggestions for nurses and physicians, this is initially presented in Qualitas 04-2017.
GlucoTab App R8.1 for cobas pulse now available
The big news of GlucoTab version 8.1 in August 2022 was the app for cobas® puls...
5th Munich Point-of-Care-Testing Symposium
From 27-29 September 2022 we presented GlucoTab on cobas pulse at the booth of R...
Article „BG-Management with Algorithm Assistance” (German)
Focus on “Digitalisation”BG management with algorithm assistance Art...
DDG 2022 – Live Presentation, Workshop, Meet the Expert
This year we are also represented at the “Diabetes Congress” of the...
Long Night of Research
LNF, Lange Nacht der Forschung, ZWT Also this year on 20. May 2022, we are prese...
decide at DMEA with Roche and presentation in scientific session on clinical decision support
Clinical Decision Support in Healthcare At DMEA from 26-28.4.2022 we will be gu...
Since July 6th, 2021, GlucoTab is certified as medical device class IIa according to the European Medical Device Regulation (MDR).
Since autumn 2017 we have a certified quality management system according to ISO 13485.
Quality, risk management and usability play a central role in the development and production of our products.
The quality management system provides us with the framework for a secure and documented procedure - the certificates confirm that we adhere to this framework.